- This event has passed.
Gippsland Lakes Paddle Challenge
May 4, 2019
Facebook event: https://www.facebook.com/events/259957134706436/
The Event is held on the Gippsland Lakes, on Australia’s largest inland waterway. View the spectacular man made entrance on the 90 Mile Beach that allows the lakes to run into Bass Strait. The 2019 event will be its 9th year and last year we broke our record with 160 paddlers on the water. This year we are expecting higher numbers as we have a new category and lowered the age to 10 years! The Paddle Challenge is now Victoria’s largest recreational multi craft paddle event.
Saturdays main event:
- Paynesville, 27km course for the elite paddler
- Metung, 13km course for the recreational paddler.
All events to finish at the Iconic Lakes Entrance Footbridge.
New Category this year:
- The ‘Mates Challenge’
- To be contested on a Doubles Sit On Top Kayaks or on any other double craft.
- Paddlers to be 10 year and above, second paddler to be over 18 years.
We have a variety crafts for hire including paddles and life jackets to be delivered to Metung and will be picked up after the event at reasonable hire rates. Any family, corporation or group of people can take on the Mates Challenge. View the event website for this new and all other categories.
All paddlers go into a lucky draw for a massive prize pool of donated prizes, this year you can choose your prize:
Some of our major prizes:
- Red Ride Sup Inflatable Paddle Board. Donated By Kite Republic Sup Centre At St Kilda. Valued at $2000
- CHARGER SURF CRAFT gift voucher valued at $1500.
- RescueME PLB-1 Personal Location Beacon. Donated by All Sat Communications. Valued at $400
- More prize info on https://www.gippslandlakespaddlechallenge.com.au/
Certificates are awarded to all place getters. There is no cash for prizes.
You can come in last in either event and still win the major prize!
Surf skis, ocean racing skis, sea kayaks, sit on-top kayaks, outrigger canoe, stand up paddle boards (SUP’s), prone paddle boards and SLSA racing boards, Hobby Kayaks, canoes, Surf Boats, St. Ayles Skiffs and Coastal Rowing Boats.
The Challenge is planned for Saturday, however it may be rescheduled to the following day if there are adverse weather conditions. The event would then start at 8am with all paddlers starting at Lakes Entrance and completing a 15km return course.